Usually my little blog is pretty much about frivolous fluff really, promoting my Etsy store and others, a few bits of DIY and recipes now and then.
But yesterday I received a frantic call from my little sister, the almost two year old niece of one of her oldest and dearest friends died from a rattlesnake bite Tuesday morning. A rattle snake bite, really, how an earth does that happen? And it happened at the very lake where most of us had weekend homes growing-up. The little girl wasn’t anywhere near the water, or rocks, or tall grass. She and her brother were playing near the lake house on their play set, it seems that the snake was hiding under the slide. I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around her parent’s loss, frankly I just can’t.
Please keep little Peyton, who would have been 2 this coming September, her parents, her brother and extended family in your prayers.
Just in case, and heaven forbid you ever… need this information:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests these steps:
• “If you or someone you know are bitten, try to see and remember the color and shape of the snake, which can help with treatment of the snake bite.
• “Keep the bitten person still and calm. This can slow down the spread of venom. Seek medical attention as soon as possible.
• “Dial 911 or call local Emergency Medical Services (EMS).
• “Apply first aid if you cannot get the person to the hospital right away. Lay or sit the person down with the bite below the level of the heart. Tell him/her to stay calm and still.
• “Cover the bite with a clean, dry dressing.
• “Do not pick up the snake or try to trap it. This may put you or someone else at risk for a bite.
• “Do not apply a tourniquet.
• “Do not slash the wound with a knife.
• “Do not suck out the venom.
• “Do not apply ice or immerse the wound in water.
• “Do not drink alcohol as a pain killer.
• “Do not drink caffeinated beverages.”